Looking for a new Greek recipe book with extra bite? The Greek Wives Club is very proud to announce that our resident GWC food expert Krystina Kalapothakos recently published her first cookbook and we are holding a competition for one lucky reader to win a signed copy!
Krystina founded her foodblog Kouzounas Kitchen in 2012 and has become hugely popular within the Greek food-loving community. Kouzounas Kitchen is dedicated to Krystina’s yiayia (grandmother), Stavroula Kouzounas Kalapothakos who passed down her recipes to her son and then her grand-daughter.
A jack of all trades, Krystina lived in Greece whilst completing an externship in pastry school. She was a sous chef on the island of Skiathos and after graduating from Le Cordon Bleu, she gained knowledge in four main cuisines; Japanese, Chinese, Greek, and Spanish.
Back To My Roots is Krystina’s first literary outing and takes us back to the days of robust village life as she explores traditional Greek recipes with a twist.
Inspired by her grandparents’ village in Mani, Greece, and with the help of popular Greek food bloggers, this book is full of delicous Greek food recipes—such as Spanakopita (Greek Spinach Pie), Karidopita (Greek Walnut Cake), and Keftedes (Greek Meatballs)—plus Greek beverages, spices and teas.
Back To My Roots is not only packed full with mouth-watering recipes, but Krystina also shares her personal story, kitchen tips and tricks, bits and pieces of the history of olive oil and its benefits, and much, much more!
So if you want to take the journey with Krystina why not enter our fabulous competition where you can win yourself a signed copy of this wonderful cookbook!
All you need to do is leave a comment below with your name and address – please note that we will NOT publish any of these details so if you wish to leave a comment about this post itself please do so in a separate comment which we can publish.
If you would like a sneaky peek of what sort of recipes you can look forward to check out Krystina’s Spinach & Feta Crepes below:
Κρέπες με Σπανάκι & Φέτα
Spinach & Feta Crepes
-1 cup all-purpose flour
-1 TB granulated sugar
-1/4 tsp Himalayan salt
-1/2 cup coconut milk
-2/3 cup water
-1/4 cup butter, melted
-1 TB vanilla extract
*(vanilla is added, only if the mixture is intended for sweet crepes, not for savory, so you won’t need it for this recipe)*
-1 cup spinach, sautéed
-1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
-Pinch of dried oregano/basil
1. In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, and salt. Next mix the liquids together (coconut milk, water, butter).
2. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk until all combined.
3. Prepare your skillet and warm it up over medium heat. Melt butter in pan.
4. Place about two tablespoons of the batter onto the pan, making sure you spread the batter around in a thin layer.
5. Let the crepe cook until the edges begin to lift, then flip to cook the other side.
6. Repeat with remaining batter and place crepes on a plate.
7. You can reheat crepes in the oven, at about 200 ◦F degrees for a few minutes.
8. To fill crepes, place a good amount of sautéed spinach in the center and add feta cheese. I like to sprinkle dried herbs over the mixture, and fold the crepe.
You can follow Krystina on various social networking sites including:
Photos courtesy of Krystina Kalapothakos copyright Kouzounas Kitchen – please do not use these photos without prior permission, thank you.